OMG! WTF! and all that sort of thing. Is it just me, or have gas bills gone up LOADS in the last few years? I was just looking at our utility provider, as I do every month when I do the meter readings, and I was shocked to see the proportion of the bill that goes to paying the gas. I was also shocked to see that we are in debit by a couple of hundred quid, argh! It turns out that the new, lower, DD they changed is not covering the amount of gas we actually use. Meanwhile, our electricity usage is bizarrely low…
So, we need to figure out a way to get the bill down, because if it’s already this bad in the Summer, what are the Winter months gonna do to us?! We came up with some ideas…
- Do meter readings (even though I do them monthly on the1st anyway);
- Use the dishwasher instead of washing up 3+ times per day. (This is an experiment, as we don’t actually know how efficient the dishwasher is, or whether it heats the cold water or takes in hot water);
- Just wash up non dishwasher stuff once in the evening;
- We used to sometimes have a bath with our son, which was fun as he has loads of rubber ducks and whatever, so when he has his bath 2-3x per week, we can have a bath at the same time. We will have our normal showers on the other days. This is cool, because it helps us bond with our wee one;
- Don’t cook 3x per day (I’ve got into a bad habit of this). I love cooking, but the gas really does cane it! My slow cooker is on RIGHT NOW with beef skirt (bought on discount from Waitrose no less), barley, and vegetables;
- Do meter readings after a month of trying the plan to see what difference it makes.
Fingers crossed, the dishwasher is as energy efficient as our friend Tim claims it is.
Photo credit: graur codrin/freedigitalphotos.net